Homemade Bath Scrubs
For this year’s Mother’s Day gifts, I decided to go the handmade route. I made two different types of bath scrubs: Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub and Sweet and Spicy Brown Sugar Body Scrub. These scrubs exfoliate, leave your skin feeling soft, and smell great too! They were extremely easy to mix up, using ingredients I already had on hand. I bought the containers and ribbon at Hobby Lobby for 50% off(2 different kinds of containers, because they didn’t have 4 of either type). The labels are courtesy of Martha Stewart, with a little help from my husband. The Littlest Apple contributed too, by stamping paint on the gift bags with flower and butterfly shapes. I was so happy with how they turned out, and both my mother and mother-in-law seemed happy too. I’m definitely going to play around with other scents in the future. My apologies for the slightly blurry photos!
Lemon Sugar Hand Scrub
- 2 1/2 cups white sugar
- 1 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice (or essential oils…next time I’ll use essential oils and/or lemon zest for stronger lemon scent)
Mix until a gritty paste forms and pour into a container with lid that seals (a mason jar or similar).
Sweet and Spicy Brown Sugar Scrub
from Domino Sugar
- 1 cup dark or light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup almond oil (I used olive oil, but almond oil would be great, I think!)
- 2 tsp. ground cinnamon (I used more cinnamon, less ginger and nutmeg in the second batch I made)
- 2 tsp. ground ginger
- 2 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 16 oz. glass container with lid
In a medium-sized bowl, combine all ingredients until thoroughly blended. Be sure to break up any lumps from the brown sugar or from the spices. Spoon into the glass container and secure with lid. Scoop a teaspoon or two of the scrub on your hands and gently massage in circular motions onto your skin. Leave on for 3 to 4 minutes before thoroughly rinsing. The scrub will tighten on your skin.