Rainbow Rocks Rewards
For a few months now, we’ve been using a simple positive reinforcement system with The Littlest Apple. I felt like we were saying “No” and “Stop” and pointing out all of the things The Littlest Apple does wrong (or, not to our liking, I should say) and not giving him the feedback he needs and deserves for the things he does right.
So, here’s our simple system: He earns “Rainbow Rocks” for various good deeds and things we want to encourage him in. The Rainbow Rocks are put in a jar. Once the jar is full, he earns a prize from the Treasure Box.
What can The Littlest Apple earn Rainbow Rocks for? (You can tell by the list some of the areas we’ve been struggling with!)
- being a good listener
- being kind/sharing
- doing things (getting dressed, etc) without help
- doing things without complaining or arguing
- being helpful
- picking up toys
- using good manners
- having a good daily report from school
- handwriting practice
- help stetting the table and cleaning up after dinner
- going to the potty without being told
What prizes are in The Treasure Box?
Currently, it contains:
- Scooper/shovel for the sandbox
- Firetruck/construction/trash truck movie
- Water gun
- Bubble gun
- VeggieTales Jonah movie
- Coupon for donuts with Dad
- Coupon for a cupcake from a local bakery
- Coupon for a trip to the ice cream shop
- The Rainbow Rocks are just multi-colored vase-filler rocks from Michael’s
- We don’t ever take rocks OUT of the jar for bad behavior (though it is tempting sometimes!!)
- We usually give The Littlest Apple a handful of rocks at a time
- Prizes are all $10 or less
- The Littlest Apple has been earning a prize every week or week and a half. If this increases, the prize value will definitely decrease!