CHANGE in 2010
Since it’s New Year’s Eve, I figured I should do a looking back/looking forward post. 2009 has not been a good year for me. In fact, it has been pretty rough, particularly the last half of it:
- miscarriage at 12 weeks (end of July) with resulting D&C ( mid August)
- The Littlest Apple getting sick over and over and over again since starting Mother’s Day Out (September-December)
- a really awful ant invasion all over the house (October-December)
- the threat of a feeding tube for The Littlest Apple (November)
- ruptured ectopic pregnancy with resulting 4 day hospital stay (December).
At dinner tonight, I asked The Picky Apple to help me come up with a list of GOOD things about 2009, because surely, there was something good, right?! Here’s what we came up with. I was pleasantly surprised to look back at such a long list of things to be thankful for:
- In February, we traveled to Mexico to a destination wedding for some good friends of ours, where we served as Matron of Honor and Best Man in the ceremony, and enjoyed some fun time in the sun. (There was also a bachelorette spa weekend for me in San Antonio and a bachelor weekend for The Picky Apple in Vegas).
- Probably one of the things I’m most proud of this year is the progress (and success) of my blog stemming from my decision to revamp my blog content.
- I started doing Tot School activities with The Littlest Apple. Okay, I fell off the wagon for December, but I’m planning to ramp back up in the new year!
- The Littlest Apple started Mother’s Day Out on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Hello, much needed mommy time!
- I started an Art Playgroup. I’d love to see it grow this year. It has been so much fun seeing the kids paint and play together and to visit with some of my mommy friends on a regular basis.
- A bathroom makeover is well on its way.
- The playroom also got a makeover (though it’s still not finished).
- We got to spend lots of time with my parents and my in-laws.
Maybe 2009 did have a few redeeming events, but I’m still more than ready to move on to 2010. I know January 1 is just another day, but I’m looking forward to a fresh start and putting the past behind me.
If I had to come up with one word to characterize 2010, my one little word for the year, it would be CHANGE. 2010 is going to be a year of many big changes, whether I like it or not. I’m looking forward to and excited about some of these changes, others will definitely require some adjustments. As someone who typically doesn’t cope well with change and is slow to adjust, this is going to be a challenging year, but I am really going to push myself to be a little more “go with the flow” and to embrace the changes and challenges that life will undoubtedly be throwing my way this year.
Some of the heavier things I’m thinking about in particular: Will The Littlest Apple have to get a feeding tube? How will that affect our day to day life? Will we find another solution to help him gain weight? Will I be able to get pregnant again? Will I be able to carry to term? Do we WANT to have another child, or are we happy with our little family of 3? Will I need to go back to work?
I’m all for making lists and goals for the year, but I also tend to overwhelm myself sometimes with things to accomplish. I’ve already mentioned my 31 Things To Do Before I Turn 31. I still have lots of work to do on that list, and those are fun and meaningful things. I have several other things in mind that I’ll be working on (the typical exercising more, eating better, decluttering, being more efficient, etc), but I’ll share more about those as the year progresses.
So, CHANGE in 2010….
Bring. it. on.
Happy New Year!!