Martha has never let me down in the dessert department, and this recipe from Martha Stewart’s Cookies is just what I was looking for. I wanted brownies with a little extra kick that would go with my menu for the week. This week’s menu included both Orange Ginger Chicken (recipe coming soon) and Slow Cooker Pork Tacos. These brownies turned out perfectly and were super easy to mix.
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, plus more for baking dish
- 3 ounces bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened Dutch-process cocoa powder
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon coarse salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F. Butter an 8-inch square baking dish. Line bottom with parchment, allowing 2 inches to hang over two sides. Butter lining (not overhang).
Melt butter and chocolate together in a medium saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring until smooth. Remove from heat, and stir in remaining ingredients.
Pour batter into prepared dish. Spread evenly with a rubber spatula. Bake until a cake tester inserted into center comes out with moist crumbs, 30 to 35 minutes. Let cool in pan on a wire rack 15 minutes. Lift out, and let cool completely on rack. Cut into sixteen 2-inch squares. Brownies can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature up to 4 days.